Tuesday, January 12, 2010

John Lennon on the Album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and "A Day in the Life"

"Sgt. Pepper is the one. It was a peak. Paul and I were definitely working together, especially on 'A Day in the Life,' that was real . . . The way we wrote a lot of the time: you'd write the good bit, the part that was easy, like 'I read the news today' or whatever it was, then when you got stuck or whenever it got hard, instead of carrying on, you just drop it. Then we would meet each other, and I would sing half, and he would be inspired to write the next bit and vice versa. He was a bit shy about it because I think he thought it's already a good song. Sometimes we wouldn't let each other interfere with a song either, because you tend to be a bit lax with someone else's stuff, you experiment a bit. So we were doing it in his room with the piano. He said, 'Should we do this?' 'Yeah, let's do that.'

"I keep saying that I always preferred the double album, because my music is better on the double album. I don't care about the whole concept of Pepper, it might be better, but the music was better for me on the double album, because I'm being myself on it. I think it's as simple as the new album, like 'I'm So Tired' is just the guitar. I felt more at ease with that than the production. I don't like production so much. But Pepper was a peak all right."

No comments: